Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Refine Idea 1

During my research I started to feel less confident about my project idea. I wasn't sure about how the outcome images will look and do I want to present them on the exhibition where people can see me or even recognize me from the self portrait, which might lead into conflicts with some people. Therefore I kind of changed my idea to something which can still include myself as the model but I don't have to show my face. One of the bubble on the mind map that flows off from the word immigrated says depression. That is kind of connecting with my other other idea about depression but in a different way. Throughout my 2 year of college I was in a very bad mental health. An the fact that we moved country put a lots of pressure on my shoulder that I couldn't really cope with and I started to lose my self esteem. Plus there were some conflicts within my family and some very abusive words left some person's mouth that really affected my mood and the way I started to live my life. If I come up with an idea about verbal abuse and execute the project then I think it can be an extra awareness of this serious problem. I project like this can be especially meaningful to me as I have personally experienced emotional abuse. The message of the project will be to capture the impact of abusive words in some way as these words really leave a mark on the soul.

Research...

I came across with the work of a contemporary photographer, called Richard Johnson, who captures the invisible pain of verbal abuse through powerful imagery.

Richard Johnson 

'Weapons of Choice' is a powerful visual series that demonstrates the damage verbal abuse has on a person. This project forces the viewer to take a second look at something so often dismissed. Photos frequently share what we hope or want society to look like: happy, beautiful, perfect. But this series tries to show the tragically beautiful, perfect imperfections of humanity.


Johnson explained that many people have a 'stick and stones' attitude, not paying tribute to the actual harm that it does to a person. Johnson felt that if people could see these photographs and see the 'emotional abuse' in the physical form, more people may take this issue more seriously.


I'm really influenced by Richard Johnson's work as I like the way he created simple but yet extremely powerful photos which are visually demonstrate the abusive words and shows the impact on the subject. This project is a good example of how to raise awareness of a today's problem that is such a serious subject.


With the make up that painted on particular parts of the subjects, he created the effect that the verbal abuse left bruises and scars on the photo subject, same scars as physical abuse and he also embedded some hateful words associated with abuse, such as 'Stupid' into those violent marks.

The illustration of these invisible scars really give power to the photos.

I also found information about the use of equipment. Camera: Nikon D600 & 85mm lens
Plus here is an image of the studio and camera settings as well:


Resource: http://fstoppers.com/photographer-captures-the-invisible-pain-of-verbal-abuse-nsfw

More research...

I really like the lighting of these two pictures under and that fact that they don't show the identity of the persons. The contrast is also very effective, making the words stand out. And because they are edited to B&W it adds more drama to the images.



This last image is very powerful due to the editorial works. The expression are very powerful as well that stair up feelings in the viewer.


No comments:

Post a Comment